Monday, December 10, 2012

Hancock County- too bad the Cows can't vote

 
 It's hard for me not to sing the Lorax's
Kyle's Ford, TN Edward Talley Bridge
  Thneedville during a good portion of my drive into Sneedville, TN. It is nearly a 2 hour drive from my office in Johnson City TN into VA down VA 600 and over TN 33 to go visit Sneedville. The terrain is beautiful- most of it following the Clinch River dotted with well built but sadly abandoned farm houses and scores and scores and scores of cows.

As a kayaker, I am a huge fun of the Upper Clinch River by Clinch Mountain and in particular the area around Kyle's Ford, TN where the Talley Bridge crosses the river. This area which includes the Upper Tennessee River watershed that is said to contain the most biologically diverse concentration of freshwater mussels in the United States containing some species that are supposedly globally unique. Nature Conservancy Site on Clinch River

As you can see from my photos, it rained buckets. A mudslide on VA 600 caused my heart to stop a bit. Amidst the beautiful vistas is one of my favorite places on the planet- River Place on the Clinch. I've had two fantastic home cooked meals by local chefs, eatting from their second story porch overlooking the river- heaven. Besides the great food and local artist jewelry (but today bizarre political talk), the site offers a put in for kayaks/canoes, a retreat center, and cabins. On the Appalachian Quilt Trail, the area is surrounded by surprising unique and personalized artwork.








 
Vacant Kyle's Ford Elementary Hancock TN


But, for its physical and natural beauty, the area is economically depressed. Industry has left. Tobacco is no longer grown there- the major crop. Because of the declining population of the county, the school district has had to close 6 six schools within the last ten years. Pictured is Kyle's Ford, TN school now vacant for over 8 years. Every time I drive by an abandoned school, I get visions of opening a residential charter school around animal husbandry. There is a similarly abandoned school in Red Boiling Springs which is better suited with its historic hotels for me to open the school. The CTE Director of the school district suggests that maybe a vineyard is a better investment in Hancock County. They are hopeful that someone would buy one of these school sites to do just that...and if I win the lottery- I may just!


 Hancock County TN has a population of only 7000 people for 222 square miles. So many abandoned houses.....one pictured here. The homes appear to have significantly built fire places with intricate woodwork designs. This particular house had the underside of its porch painted green with several collumns showing a great spot to sit after working all day. As a former history teacher, I get overwhelmed by abandoned schools and homes. I think of the stories that might of occured there of happiness, sorrow, love, family. I wish that there was some sort of enhanced reality where you could see what occured at left places like virtual historical roadside markers.
Hancock County is famous or infamous for being the homeside of the Mulungeons. This is now my third trip to Hancock, CY and the Director of school has promised me that on my next trip- if it is not raining- he will take me by the the Vardy Community School.

No comments:

Post a Comment